Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Squirt, otherwise known as Squirmy

The final update is of course on our baby. I've started calling him or her Squirt, due to size and expected behaviors upon entering the wider world, and my doctor's been referring to the child as Squirmy, due to actions performed while he's trying to examine us. (I guess it's harder to measure the height of the uterus when the baby is kicking the measuring tape.)

My doctor's appointment yesterday went fine. I got to be poked and prodded as samples were collected to test for, variously, strep bacteria, Rhogam antibodies and hemoglobin count. I hope to soon report that I'm bacteria-free, free of antibodies that would object to future babies and non-anemic. But we'll see. Luckily, there's treatments for all of these things.

I like modern medicine. It's always so comforting to be able to say, "Well, we know THIS isn't wrong." It's nice to think about all the diseases that I don't have. It's such a good recipe for contentment. When I don't have headaches, I try to remember to be grateful for the fact. I'll even shake my head back and forth, just to have a chance to be happy about that fact that doing so doesn't hurt. :)

So, as far as we know, the baby is doing fine. Squirt's about six pounds now and has a healthy baby heartbeat of 140 beats per minute. Hopefully we'll all get to meet this kid in about 4 weeks!

No comments: