In an effort to make our home hygenic for our soon-to-be-crawling babe,
Adam and I have put out about twelve cockroach traps all over our home.
Cockroaches are a big problem here - ask anyone who lives on the street
(and, yes, we do do the dishes every day, and don't leave food out).
Anyway, I am now convinced that what cockroach traps really do is make the
roaches drunk. I still see roaches around, but they aren't the quick,
scurrying critters of the past. No, these new, roach-trap-poison-eating
roaches are drunk. They walk slow and they walk funny. So, if nothing
else, roach traps make roaches easier to whack.
In other news, Brigid got her first real round of vaccinations. As the
nurse was in the process of sticking four different inch long needles into
our little girl's chubby thighs, I tried to tell Brie that the shots
really were a better alternative than polio.
Our daughter didn't believe me though, and commenced to screaming bloody
murder. She's now on the chair in the living room, sleeping off her rage.
It's sad that my baby now knows what it's like to be actually hurt. This
fallen world sucks. But even though she doesn't know it, I know that
shots are better than polio, and I thank God that we live in a place where
Brie can get them. I thank God that some kinds of pain are better than
others.
And, speaking of this fallen world and the consequences, Brigid still has
thrush, so we're going on another round of medication. Please pray for
her, that this one solves it, and that it doesn't come back. Again,
praise God for modern medicine.
Coming out of the doctor's office, an old lady admired Brigid, and then
told me all about her seven children, who all turned out well, and about
her great-grandson on the way. This lady confided that, "You have to
raise them right," and commented that though people thought drugs were a
new thing, "They've always been around," intimating to me, I think, that
our daughter could turn out well too, if we raised her right. A women
who's raised seven children and who blesses me when I say goodbye to her?
I think that's an early childhood expert I'll believe.
Now Brie and I are off for an afternoon with my sister Laurel, to go to
the library, grocery shop with Rho (Laurel), do laundry and Pilates (Rho
and I), nap (Brie) and generally have a good, sisterly time. I have the
coolest little sister in the world. No one's more generous or gracious
than Rho.
Friday, September 24, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment