Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Jess' jungle

Here's the top of the news this morning:

-Adam and Brie and I played together for almost an hour last night. Brigid's finally old enough and coordinated enough and knows enough tricks that this is possible. don't get me wrong, we've spent hours upon hours playing with her in the four months of her short life (four months today!), but this was the first time when it felt like play for us and play for her at the same time. It helps to have a kid who can sit, stand, push up, giggle and bat at things. It was so much fun!

-Brie can bat at things! And sometimes grab them!

-Unsweetened cocoa powder is fun stuff.

-Vanilla is expensive stuff. A small bottle of real vanilla costs almost twenty bucks at Sam's, whereas a big jug of the fake stuff costs about $3.50.

-Smallville is a fun show. We're borrowing the second season DVD from my brother, and it's like watching Saturday morning cartoons, only live action. Superman is just a great concept, and this is a fun rendering of it. Mind, I'm recommending this for almost entirely lowbrow reasons; it's not Shakespeare.
But they do quote him. :)

-I'm going this morning to talk to our insurance agent about CD's and such. A strictly fact-finding mission, I'm not buying anything today. I plan to make a similar foray to our bank. No, we haven't come into tons of money, this is more to learn what would be smartest to do with money given to Brigid on the occasion of her birth. We figure there has to be something smarter to do then sticking it in our bank account. Or even in a bank account for her.
How come becoming a parents seems like the most natural thing in the world, but high (-ish) finance seems scary?

-Our friends Adam and Katrina had a son! Reuben Curtis was born two days ago and I got to go see him yesterday. He's a big baby, almost nine pounds, but he felt so small after holding Brigid! Except for one thing. He has huge hands. It's very cute. It reminded me of holding a puppy with big paws - the kind you always know are going to grow up into BIG dogs. If it holds cross-species, he'll be tall like his daddy.
Only right now he's a cute, beautiful little bundle of baby, very new and very wonderful. And his mom looks beautiful, and happy and calm and confident as a mom. It was really good getting to go see them, and really fun going, because I got to go with Becca, and that's always a treat.

No comments: