Friday, January 07, 2005

the small rain down can rain

the weather has shifted here in SoCal, and it's grey and cold. Today I went to Sam's Club and watched two able-bodied women watch the bag-boys load their groceries into the car and send one of the bag-boys back to replace a can that fell off of their over-loaded cart. I got passed on the right because I was following the speed limit (I'm a weird Angeleno). I watched my daughter watch the rain, and watched as she got wet without complaining once. And I enjoyed the cold feeling in my toes all day.

So, in honor of the weather, here's one of my favorite old poem/prayers, anonymous. It's from memory, so please pardon any errors:

Oh when will the west wind blow
the small rain down can rain?
Christ! that my love were in my arms
and I in my bed again.


-Jess

No comments: