Brigid is an expert kisser now. She kisses us and her bears and her dolly and whatever else looks like it needs it. I tell you, there really is nothing on earth sweeter than our daughter. She's got such a personality! She chortles and bounces and trills and babbles and flings herself round corners and bangs on chairs and slides down couches and just engages life with abandon.
Yesterday we went to the Huntington Library and Gardens with my folks, who had never been there before. By the time we left, they'd become members. The place has that kind of effect on people. After drooling over the Gutenburg, standing in awe in front of paintings by Gainsbourgh and Constable and William Morris, walking through rose-scented air in the formal gardens, feeling the peace of the Asian gardens and staring at cleverly bonsai'd tree after cleverly bonsai'd tree, you can't help but fall in love with the place. I think it might be the coolest place in the LA basin, and that's saying something.
Brigid's favorite was all of the stone statues. She wanted to pet them.
So yesterday was fun, but this morning I woke up with one of those won't-someone-please-shoot-me headaches. The kind that make swallow your gorge everytime you accidentally move even a millimeter. Blessedly, Adam got ran out to the store and got me some pregnancy-safe Sudefed, which solved the problem in a few hours, and kept our daughter from bouncing all over me till then. See, what happens is that my allergies stuff me up to the point that I get a killer headache, and then, for some reason, my body decides that killer headaches ought to be rewarded with severe nausea. It's a vicious cycle, but if I can clear the snot, I can kick the headache, and that defeats the urge to throw up. The worst part is fighting to keep the medicine down. Ick, ick, ick. I'm sorry. I'll stop talking about it.
The best news this morning came reading Micah and Jenn's website: they're safely to Wisconsin! That's a huge prayer answered.
Um, I think that's it. I'm still progressing steadily through the history of Britain, but I think the fellow writing this section on the Tudors has a decidedly pro-Catholic bias. He explains carefully that Bloody Mary wasn't really THAT bloody, and calls Henry VIII's son Edward "the Protestant boy-bigot". Yes. Sooooooo even-minded, aren't we?
-Jess
Saturday, August 13, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Dr. Reynolds, I presume?
Which History of Britain are you reading??? It makes quite a difference (of course, Tudor historians tend to be biased anyway). My personal favorite is "Divorced, Beheaded, Survived: A Feminist Interpretation of the Wives of Henry VIII". Read it only if you are looking for a good laugh :). For sober history, Allison Weir is usually fairly straightforward and unbiased.
"The Oxford History of Britain", your basic, all-around text. Each section is written by a different author.
Post a Comment