I've just come back from my four-month prenatal appointment. The only direct evidence of Squirt's well-being was a lovely strong heartbeat, but that's pretty good evidence, and the indirect evidence, like my weight and blood pressure and such are all good too. So, folks, so far, so good.
Dr. A. asked that I say hi to the family, so: hi, family!
The thing that's bothering me right now is the California pre-natal testing. It's not required that every pregnant woman be tested for certain birth defects, but it is required that she be given the option. The test is a blood screening test, and 90 percent of women get a screen negative, which means it's likely your baby doesn't have Downs Syndrome or spina bifida and such. 10 percent get a screen positive, which is just an indication for further testing, as most of the screen positive women end up having normal pregnancies too.
There's a couple controversies about the screening program. The first is that one of the diagnostic procedures recommended if you get a screen positive is amniocentesis, where they draw out some amniotic fluid for testing. This procedure results in miscarriage 1 out of 200 times (if I remember correctly). The second controversy is that if they do find something wrong, one of the things the state offers as an option is abortion.
I don't think I'd have trouble saying no to amniocentesis and to abortion, so I'm planning on taking the test anyway, on the principle that if something's wrong, I'd rather know now so that I can prepare. Plus, it's hard to turn down something that's likely to tell you that you're baby's doing just fine, thank you. But one of my regular sins is anxiety, and I can almost feel myself getting anxious about how anxious I'll be if I get a screen positive. Sigh.
Not likely though. I didn't with Brie. I just hope that nothing's wrong, and for my heart's sake, that I won't get a false positive.
Still, again, so far so good. After the car accident, I've decided that I like my pregnancies like I like my airplane rides: boring.
Please continue to pray for our baby, and thank you so much for all your prayers to date.
-Jess
Friday, September 23, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment