As Jessica mentioned, Brigid's new routine now includes less time spent snuggling with Dad (when we're just feeling fussy) and more time in bed. Last night, however, I got a treat.
My usual routine used to include changing, jammying, bottling, brushing teeth, binkying, singing, praying and then cuddling until she drifted off. Lately, she's been very fussy any time I tried to sing/cuddle, so I cut it down to singing a song, praying with her, and then just putting her down to let her fall asleep. She usually still fusses during the singing, but I make her go through it anyway in the hope that she'll get the idea that it's a good idea.
Last night, I changed and jammied her and brushed her teeth, and then kissed Mom goodnight. I put her on the bed in front of me and sang her "The Lord Bless You and Keep You" and was getting ready to pray with her when she looked up at me and said "Ma?" ("More?")
"You want more singing?"
Brigid nodded (She has a very cute nod, by the way: sort of like picking her head up and letting it drop). My heart swelled. So I sang "All Praise to Thee, My God this Night" (possibly my favorite bedtime song) and "Jesus Loves Me, this I know" (in English and Spanish) before she finally burrowed up to my chest for a good old-fashioned snuggle session before praying and putting her down to bed.
Then as I was putting her down, she lay down and I tucked her in and started to kiss her goodnight with the two stuffed bears in her crib (one of whom I've had since I was 2) when she sits up and says "deedee?"
"Oh yes!" I said. "Your other binky. We can't go to sleep without that!" It's not enough to have one binky in her mouth. She has another binky that she firmly clutches in her hand as she falls asleep, sort of a security binky. We upended the blanket and bears (and Brie) until I found the other binky tucked in a corner of her crib. As soon as I gave it to her, she flopped back over with her legs tucked underneather her and her bottom up in the air, so I tucked her in, kissed her goodnight and turned out the light.
Jessica commented that I was especially goopy when I came out after that. She was right.
Tuesday, November 08, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment