Sunday, November 20, 2005

Lo, he comes with clouds descending

Happy Christ the King Sunday!

Today is my favorite Sunday of the whole church year. Today is also the last Sunday of the whole church year. Next Sunday begins Advent, the wait for the Christ child to come. Today, on the last Sunday of the year, at the very end of the season after Pentecost (the long season of just being the church on earth), we remember the second coming of Christ. Christ the King, Cristo Pantokrator, Christ our Judge.

Maybe it is because I am so much a J on the Meyers-Briggs that this is my favorite Sunday, but it is glorious to think of Christ coming again - not humble and disguised as once he did, but in all the glory and spendor and awfulness of Himself as true God and ture Man and Lord over all - of Christ coming again and Making Everything Right. No more will disorder rule and chaos reign, no more will evil men prey on the righteous, no more will any of us get away with anything, because the King of all kings is coming to give to all their due, to fix all wrongs, reward all his servants and to make sure, as St. Julian said, that all shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.

Amen! Come soon, Lord Jesus.



"We believe that thou wilt come to be our Judge.
We therefore pray thee, help thy servants,
whom thou hast redeemed with thy precious blood.
Make them to be numbered with thy saints,
in glory everlasting."

Amen.
-Jess

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Amen! And, maybe you know this Jess...but why were all the hymns today about the crucifixion? Is that somehow tied to Christ the King Sunday? (I mean, I get the idea that his reign is dependent on his having died for us, etc., but I was wondering if there was more than that...)
--Sarah

Adam said...

No, I don't know. I mean, "Lo he comes with clouds descending" made sense, and so did "All hail the power of Jesus' name" (all that crowning stuff goes well with the king theme). But I don't know about the others - maybe it was just our normal "let's think about the mass now" hymns?