Monday, March 27, 2006

So I guess he's getting enough to eat

Sam weighed in at 9 lbs., 11.5 oz. today. That means he's gained over a pound since birth. Moreover, it means he's gained 1 lb., 7 oz. in the past 9 days, because on the 18th he was still below his birth weight of 8 lb., 8 oz. That's almost 3 oz. a day! Talk about an efficient metabolism.

Our boy is in the 80th percentile for weight and, get this, the 97th for height. Yep, another big, long - but not fat - baby. I believe his head circumference was in the 90th percentile. I'm wondering if his size is part of why he's sleeping so well.

The only bad news at the doctor's was that he's still a bit yellow. I'm going to be more rigorous about making sure he gets enough sunlight everyday. Please pray that this continues to clear up.


I think the rest of why he sleeps well is just his personality. Sarah held him today, and commented that he was "solid". That describes Samwise pretty well. He already has a feeling of stability to him, and not just physically. He seems like the sort of baby who will develop into the sort of man that you can count on, and that anyone would be glad to count a friend. He's not excitable, but he's pretty sure about what he wants and what he does and doesn't like. He does not, for instance, like his sister's occasional high-pitched screams. But he doesn't freak out when he hears them, he just startles and then frowns fearsomely.

He's very alert when he's awake, he looks around a lot, and he also focuses on faces when they're in view. He holds up his head as if he were a month old, and studies things.

He doesn't cry much (hardly at all), but he's noisy. Lots of grunts, and snorts and snuffles and murmurs, especially when nursing. He has a lovely rhythmic murmur when nursing that I can't help but mimic back to him, it's so conversational. Are boys just noisier than girls? He seems to fart with more enthusiasm than his sister ever showed.

I'm also starting to wonder if boys are smellier, even from this age. Breastfed poops aren't awful at all, but I'd swear his are worse than Brie's were.


His belly button has lost its cord, but is still bleeding a small bit. Not infected though, so Dr. A. said to just keep cleaning it with alcohol. His circumcision is healing well, and everything but the jaundice looks fine.

Samuel's a model baby. But he's much more than that. He's a good man, our Sam. A good little man, but a good man.

Praise God!
-Jess

1 comment:

Amber said...

I'm glad to read that Sam is doing so well! I hope that last little bit of yellow clears up soon. My daughter had that too and it lingered for awhile too. It is definitely a good sign that it is going away on its own!

Sam's personality reminds me so much of Gregory - solid, mellow, and determined. He also has a great smile and absolutely delights in his sister, as I'm sure Sam will too!

And yes, I do think little boy babies are a bit stinkier than girl babies. I don't know why that would be at this age, but I've found myself thinking the same thing!