Monday, April 17, 2006

proto-salad

The kids and I just spent a half an hour gardening. The sugar snap peas have been pulled up, and a lemon cucumber planted next to the trellis they used to climb. A red bell pepper plant and a sweet banana pepper plant have been planted next to the green onion bed. I have a couple pots ready to start tomatoes in, and soon they'll replace the green onions. I was aching to sew a few rows of spinach, but common sense told me I needed to get our seedlings planted before our seeds. Next are the herbs, which, to my delight, can go in the bed under the living room window, because I noticed it gets more sun than I thought it did. But I'll save room to plant some morning glories or nasturtiums, so we can have something pretty to look at.

And in a few months, the best California-grown salad you've ever eaten!

-Jess

p.s. Brie got to try out the kid-sized gardening set that she got from the grandfolks for Easter. She tried to take dirt off the cucumber hill almost as fast as I tried to put it on! Sam sat fairly happily in his bouncy seat on a blanket and looked around and trees and sky. Getting outside is good for all three of us!

No comments: