Thursday, June 29, 2006

of gummy grins and kiddo kisses

So, every once in awhile, a thought like this goes through my head: "Gee, I wonder if my kid is old enough to do X." When that happens, I generally create the opportunity for my kid to do X and see if she can. Recently, for instance, "X" was "learn to draw circles". (She could.)

Well, today it was a see if HE can. I wondered, upon thinking about Ashley's little guy Hunter, if Sam, too, were old enough to stand up with support. So we tried on and off today. And this evening, while we were out in the yard, he finally really got it. There's our Samuel, all two feet of him, standing up tall and proud on his, well, two feet, and looking around at the world.

His sister thought this was SO COOL and responded instantly to her newly erect (no jokes, please) brother by kneeling in front of him (making their faces about level) and hugging him ferociously. Sam responded to her sincere, but not entirely tender, affection by grinning so big you might've thought his aim was to split his face in half.

I, for my part, thought this was SO COOL.

My kids like each other. I think my heart has discovered a whole new realm of joy.

-Jess

1 comment:

Amber said...

Isn't having two so absolutely WONDERFUL?!? :-)

Thanks for the story, I could just picture it perfectly.