Thursday, August 24, 2006

dr. lab lab

I really liked the urologist. He told me he had a seven month old girl. I said, "oh, you must be tired." He said, "oh, you understand."

He seemed surprised Dr. A. hadn't ordered a urine test. Yeah.

So he ordered one, with an ultrasound of Sam's bladder and kidneys to follow, if the lab's not clean. If the lab's clean, then we can assume (apparently), that it's nothing harmful. Otherwise, to the radiology clinic go we, for an ultrasound.

So we went to the lab (we was me, Sam, Brie, and my wonderful brother Josh, who watched Brie in waiting rooms. what a stud!). The lab gave me equiptment to collect urine in, and sent me home to do the deed. (Apparently the techs aren't allowed to do this themselves. Medicine is weird.)

So I did. I hoped I got enough, and I'm still hoping the sample was sterile - I'm rather afraid it wasn't. Have YOU ever tried to stick a plastic bag on a wiggly baby's penis and get him to pee in it? No? The wiggliness of the baby (especially one flexible enough to kick himself in the balls) can kind of be detrimental to the whole sterile sample thing.

So then I took our tablespoons of pee back to the lab. While I was there, I got Brie's blood drawn, 'cause that was on my list of things to do eventually too (just for normal two-year old labs). She was amazing, and didn't even cry. I think the fact that I was singing "Five Green and Speckled Frogs" to her helped. While we waited for the phlebotomist, we danced and spun to make Sam laugh. It made the phlebotomists laugh too.


Anyway, the urologist told us to go ahead and schedule the ultrasound, and if the sample comes back clean, we can cancel it. Please pray that it's clean. The was a little more discoloration in his diaper tonight.

But it is possible, according to the urologist, that it was dehydration. Dehydration and UTI's are the most likely, although apparently when kids get UTI's, they usually spike fevers (unlike adults, who often get them without). He said it's probably nothing to worry about, but to go ahead and \get the tests. Which I appreciated.

So, please pray that the sample comes back clean. And that Sam's okay. And for grace either way. I feel about as tired right now as I did at the end of March, and that's saying something.

Today was hard, and long, but it went well. It felt very prayed for. Very, very, very. Thank you all so much.

love,
Jess

But, I got almost a couple tablespoons of urine (two bags later)

1 comment:

Amber said...

OK, I really had a good laugh at the idea of getting a urine sample from a baby. At least he isn't a girl, I can't imagine how you'd try to do it then!! LOL