Thursday, September 14, 2006

the receptionist

So, after leaving a message yesterday, I called the office of Dr. G. (Sam's urologist) again, hoping for the test results from Monday's UPG catheterization. The nice receptionist told me that she'd get Sam's file. She did, and said, "Dr. G. hasn't looked at it, but one of the other doctors did; it's normal."

I hated to burst her bright and cheery bubble, but I had to say, "I still need to talk to Dr. G.; if it's normal, that means we need more tests. He has a condition, and we need to find out what's causing it, and if it's not this, that means it's something else."

"Oh. Well, Dr. G's not in today. I'll leave another message for him."

"Thanks."

So, it's apparently not in the urethra or the bladder or the bladder valve, which means it's probably in the ureter. Which probably means surgery.

It's not the news I'd really hoped for, but I'm not that surprised. If I had to guess, I'd guess that Sam'll need surgery, but that he'll be okay. There's almost something attractive about surgery, because hopefully that would be the end of it, and it wouldn't mean years of watching and waiting to see if it corrects itself. On the other hand, surgery is always scary, and I hate the idea of Sam undergoing something so traumatic. (And I'm guessing that surgery too means a bunch of follow-up visits, to make sure that it worked. Wouldn't it be awful to have to go through surgery twice?)

I often reality-check with Adam when I'm scared, so tonight we had a conversation that went something like this:

Jess: Sam's not going to have surgery and die, is he?
Adam: No, they have surgery so that you DON'T die.
Jess: Oh. Okay.


So, please keep praying for our boy. Please pray that we can set up the next test quickly, and that this one is actually able to identify whatever's causing the problem. Please pray for a good prognosis and good treatment. And good communication with the doctor(s). And, if you think of it, please pray for me, because it's hard not to be scared.


On the other hand, there's this really cool thing: the discharge in his diaper has almost completely disappeared. And, on top of that, discharge isn't a very common symptom of this problem; I gather that hydronephrosis is usually diagnosed in utereo, or when it starts to cause much more serious problems than diaper discharge. But Sam had a symptom we could see, and he had it long enough that we pushed through to get a real diagnosis. If that's not the grace of God, I don't know what is! I feel like the Lord has us by the hand as we walk through this scary place. Like it's still scary, but He's here too, so it's all okay. Very much like a little kid with her dad.

When I think of all the times I changed Sam's diaper and saw that peach color and just wished it would go away, when it was really a great gift that led us to being able to get him help in time! God is very, very good. And good to us and to Samuel.

So, Samuel, my boy, whose very name means "the Lord has heard", may the Lord hear our prayers and take care of you always, in life and in death! And especially, right now, in sickness. May He lead you to health and to a long life in His service!


I am very blessed, btw, by how many people are praying for Sam. I hear about more every day, and I'm more thankful than I can say. But I'll say it anyway: thank you, thank you, thank you. May it be that "the prayers offered up in faith will make the sick person well"!


in His grace,
Jessica

No comments: