Tuesday, November 07, 2006

bread pudding recipe

Last week's recipes were pretty good, although the butternut squash lasagna needs some work to make it REALLY good (I think I need to puree the squash instead of just mashing it), but the stand-out recipe was the sausage-cheddar-apple bread pudding. The recipe follows; it was originally from Cooking Light (the best cooking magazine out there, IMHO); I've modified it very slightly:


-8 oz. sausage
-2 c. chopped Granny Smith apple
-1 c. chopped onion
-2 c. milk
-4 eggs
-3/4 c. (3 oz) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
-1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
-1/4 t. salt
-1/8 t. black pepper
-8 oz. (1 inch) cubed day-old (dry) sourdough bread (about 9 cups, cubed)


1) Preheat oven to 350.
2) Heat large skillet over medium heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage to pan, cook for 4 minutes or until brown, stirring to crumble. Stir in apple and onion. Cover and cook over low heat 5 minutes or u ntil apple is crisp-tender. Remove from heat, cool slightly.
3) Combine milk, egg, 1/4 c. cheese, parsley, 1/4 t. salt, and 1/8 t. pepper in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir in sausage mixture. Add bread, and stir gently to combine. Let stand 10 minutes. Spoon into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 c. cheese. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until pudding is set and lightly browned. Yield: 6 servings. (Or two, if you're really hungry - this is GOOOOOOOD.)



This is a great fall recipe. So's the squash-apple soup we had last night. I'm trying to increase my collection of recipes that use fall and winter produce. Anyone have a good recipe for kale?

-Jess

2 comments:

Amber said...

That bread pudding recipe looks yummy - I'd love to try it but I'm not sure how it would work with soy milk and goat gouda. :-)

I made a recipe last night that I think would be good for kale - I want to try and make it again to see if I can get it right next time! I was trying mentally halve the recipe while doing too many other things and some things got halved and others didn't. This recipe does not turn out well with half as much oil and twice as much salt!

Here's the recipe, halved (correctly, this time!) because I figure that's probably what you'd want to do with it as well.

Ingredients:
1 onion
2 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bunch kale, washed, stemmed and cut into reasonable sized pieces
1/4 t salt
1 t marjoram or some other leafy dried herb (basil or oregano would probably be good too)
1/2 t red wine vinegar

Heat the oil in a 4 qt. sauce pan. Slice the onion into half rounds and add to the oil once it is warmed. Cook onions until they start turning golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 5 minutes or so until the onions begin to caramelize. Pack in all the kale, sprinkle with salt and dried herb, then put the lid on the pot and let the kale wilt for 1 min. Take the lid off, toss the kale with the onions, then add in a couple of tablespoons of water. Replace the lid and let cook/steam for about 10 minutes, or until tender. Toss the kale occasionally while cooking. When the kale is done, sprinkle with the red wine vinegar and a little more olive oil, then serve.

This is adapted from a Fine Cooking recipe - theirs had pancetta in it, which I omitted because it is expensive and difficult to find.

I also sometimes steam kale then drizzle toasted sesame oil and a little bit of hot pepper oil over it, then toss it with some toasted sesame seeds. That's pretty good too, but it is easy to accidently put in too much pepper oil. :-)

If you figure out any good kale recipes, please put something up on your blog - I'm always looking for good ways to cook those dark leafy greens.

BTW, I'm enjoying your menus - I want to put mine up but I haven't made the time to do so. Maybe after I plan my menus this afternoon. (I usually do it on Sunday, but I figured out election stuff instead... then I started yesterday but didn't get a chance to finish, so right now I only have Mon and Tues planned)

This is quite a long comment - can you tell Gregory is napping and Emma is over at Grandma's? *grin*

lasselanta said...

We tried this on Saturday, and it was WONDERFUL. Because this was an oh-no plans-have-changed now-what-do-I-cook situation, :-) we used what we had on hand-- bacon instead of sausage, Gala instead of Granny Smith, dried parsley instead of fresh, and sandwich bread instead of sourdough-- but we really, really, really liked it and will make it again. Thanks for the recipe!!