Tuesday, January 09, 2007

WFMTN

It's pronounced "oof-mutton"*. It stands for Works For Me Tuesday Night, and it's a play on WFMW (pronounced "oofmoo"*) which stands for Works For Me Wednesday, which is something Jessica is in to (something in to which Jessica is?). Don't worry, it's not really important. But it does work for me!

I've decided to play with the structure of my GodTime™ (I've decided that I don't really like the sound of either "quiet time" or "devotionals" so in good Protestant fashion I'm coining my own phrase). I can't say that I set about it on purpose. It just sort of happened tonight, and I have to say it went pretty well. It goes as follows:

  1. Do something active - this gets the blood flowing and the brain working
  2. Listen to something - tonight it was Michael Card's The Way of Wisdom album on the way home from karate
  3. Do something creaditative (creative + meditative) - tonight I tried my hand a meditative sketching, which I just came up with and kind of like.
  4. Do something traditional - like read the Bible, pray, etc. Tonight I read through Amos because listening to TWoW ("tooOw"*?) gets me in that mood.


The obvious down side is going to be that doing all of that will take an hour or more, so I don't know how often I'll actually be able to get all the way through, but at least I have an idea that I can play around with. I'll let you know how it goes.

*pronunciations are formulated using the old Celtic pronunciations, in which a W could be pronounced as 'oo' if it had enough consonants around it. Thus we end up with word such as Gwyddbwyl being pronounced "gooithbooil" (remember, the 'dd' makes a 'th' sound) and the tale from the Mabinogion about a young 'hero' named Culhwk (I think), pronounce more like 'culluk'.

No comments: