Our sweet Sam turned one year old today. He liked his birthday meal (popcorn chicken) but disliked his cake (rice krispie treats) and the candle positively scared him (it was a match, lit by a match, and the flare-up was a bit surprising, if you're one and don't know matches).
But as the day was also filled with crawling, walking, digging in the dirt with sister and grandma, happy birthday calls, a trip to the hardware store with dad, nursing, cups to play with, strawberry milkshakes, being carried around, tickled and sung to, naps and meals and diaper changes, prayers and songs, and many, many other good things, I think we can announce it a success.
Oh, Sam, my boy-boy, Fingers, hobbit, ATS (All-Terrien Sam), Sam-Sam, "Sam-O" and "Sammy" (those are from Brie), blue eyes, baby boy, SO-big Sam my Samwise, I do love you. A year ago you were tiny and brand-new and not falling asleep. I didn't know you were sensitive to light and sound, so I tried to nurse you with the hospital TV on. I know you better now.
I know that you're wisely cautious, but full of big-hearted enthusiasm. I know that you will throw yourself at anything you love, even if it means diving headfirst off of a couch. I know that you crawl faster than any baby I've ever seen when there's something you want. I know that your grip is almost stronger than mine, and that I can never take a toy out of your grasp on the first try. I know that you think your sister is the funniest person in the whole, wide world. I know that you wave and say "hi" to people I can't see, and I wonder if it's just the spot of light on the wall or if you can see angels. I know that you don't laugh easily, but that your chuckle is infectious. I know that you're affectionate, and love playing with the people you love. I know you know who I am, who your dad is, who your sister is and who your grandparents are. I know that if it's on the floor, it will go into your mouth. I know that you think that God created all fruit specifically to end up in your stomach. I know that you like trucks, babies and cats, but that you're not sure about dogs. I know that you think funny noises are more worth learning than words, but that you want to communicate enough that you're learning the words anyway. I know that you're smart, and that you notice and remember what goes on around you. I know that you're opinionated, and that you fight hard, but not always long. I know that you like to fall asleep and then nurse, rather than the other way around. I know that you like music: you like drumming better when it's rthymic, you never fail to notice music playing and you don't bang on piano keys - you play them softly, as if to make a song. I know, KNOW that you know where your mouth is, and I'm pretty sure you've got the rest of the facial features down too. I know you can clap and wave and stand up without holding onto anything, though you might not know the last one yet, you've only done it when upset, trying to get up to be held. I know you have a great snicker and a great sense of humor. I know you have sweet, sloppy baby kisses, and that you think the best way to ask for a hug is to fling yourself into someone's arm. I know that if it can be squished through the fingers you want your hand in it. I know God healed your kidney, and I know that I pray for you day after day and night after night. I know that you're the Lord's first, but that one of his greatest kindnesses is letting your dad and I raise you.
I know I love you. Lots and lots and lots and lots. Happy birthday, Samwise, my Samuel, my sweet, sweet Sam.
love,
Mom
Tuesday, March 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Happy birthday, Sam!
What a beautiful post, and what a beautiful testament to your wonderful little boy!
Post a Comment