I go back and forth between being blissfully happy ("look, we're all six of us together!") to being very worried ("c'mon, Jane, you can eat more than that") to being tired ("mmm, look, there's a flat surface; I bet I could sleep if I had a minute to lie down on that") to being paranoid ("my life is OVER; I'm never going to have one silent moment to myself again") and then back to being blissfully happy ("none of us is in the hospital; we're all HERE").
The girls have gained about two ounces each in the two days they've been home, which is very good. We're spending one hour out of three (around the clock) feeding them so they can gain that weight. If you would, please pray that they get the hang of breastfeeding before Adam goes back to work, because otherwise I have no idea how I'm going to manage (getting them from mostly bottle to mostly breast will cut out a TON of work, because we are spending hours washing bottles and pump parts). Right now they're lazy bottlefeeders and even lazier nursers. They fall asleep almost every feeding and Adam and I spend, again, hours, trying to wake them up enough to eat.
But they are growing, so it's working. But there's a reason they pay highly-trained professionals to do this in the NICU.
And Brie and Sam are doing pretty well, but Sam's having a harder time of it. Adam's going to take him for some one-on-one, father-son time tomorrow, while I'm going to do some one-on-one time with Brie (we're planning this for the twins' first naptime). We have four children. Goodness gracious.
So, please pray the girls get better at eating, that Sam and Brie feel secure in our love, and that Adam and I stay sound, sane and grounded in our Father's love.
Our love to you and thanks,
Jessica
p.s. If you're in the area and not sick - and this offer is even more valid in a week and a half when Adam goes back to work - and want to hold babies, call and come on over. We won't even make you do chores. Just baby-holding (and maybe feeding or burping). But you holding a baby for a bit would free us up for fun things like maybe getting a shower or washing the dishes. :) I kid, but seriously, it's a real offer. Especially in a week and a half. Come hold a baby or two while I do chores or cuddle Brie and Sam or take a nap and I will say "thank you" about half a dozen times when you come and about another six or seven when you leave.
(The "not sick" part is serious too; our girls have a weakened immune system due to their early arrival, and virus that would mean a cold or the flu for a normal person would put them in the hospital again, and maybe even kill them. Not to imply anyone would come over and sneeze on Jane and Kate, just passing it on as it's important.)
Wednesday, March 05, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I wish we were there to help but we're cheering you on with thoughts and prayers!
Oh, I really feel for you as you go from one emotion to another. I have no doubt that you guys will get into a routine and that it will all work out.
I wish that we lived close and could help you out with holding the babies, doing chores (even though you said no chores it is truly and strength of mine) and anything we could for you.
Instead we will pray for you daily and trust in God to grant you all the helpers, the rest, the time, good feeding twins, happy kid's and all that you need to survive and enjoy the coming weeks.
with much love
Brett and Tal
Take Courage dear friend this too will end. I remember being beat down by the never ending feeding and care a preemie is at home. Then one day I woke up and things were better. You can do it! Praying for you.
-amie
Post a Comment