Wednesday, December 03, 2008

you might wonder why I'm not posting so much

then you might remember that I have four kids and go, "oh, yeah . . ."

*slaps forhead!* wait! that's my internal dialogue! stop projecting, Jess!

Anyway, we're all here, we're all well, and the kiddoes are growing in leaps and bounds. I suspect that Adam and I are growing in leaps and bounds too, but that's all internal, character formation stuff . . . we're either growing or we're stretching, or maybe that stretching God is doing is making room for growth. Well, let us hope.

Anyway, I sat down to chronicle the kids' stuff, and it's some really cool stuff too. Let's take them in order:

Brigid: is trying to conquer every abstract concept presented to her in one gulp. The "why's" have multiplied more than I ever thought possible. Her theological knowledge is growing, and we're feeding it with memory verses, cool Advent stuff like a Jesse tree, and long, long conversations about sin, redemption, forgiveness, love, Jesus, Heaven, Hell and . . . and everything. She's drawing lots and lots of Nativity scenes, and I love her towering angels and concerned Marys and starry night skies. She is very kind to her little sisters (most of the time) and knows how to make them laugh, which is both a great boon and a great delight.

Samuel: has discovered his own imagination! Today I noticed for the first time that Brie was playing an imaginary game that he'd made up, rather than the other way around. I feel like I am getting to know him for the first time all over again, if you know what I mean. He is incredibly concentrated when something catches his interest, and it is hard to distract him from an activity he's engaged in. He is learning how to have opinions. He loves playing with Brie.

Jane: is (and so is her twin) babbling. And babbling. And then babbling. There was a nursing session yesterday that went like this:

"suck, suck, suck, suck" -the girls are staring at each other across the way- "suck, suck, suck, suck" - the girls start holding hands and playing with each other's fingers- "suck, suck, suck, suck" - hmm, looking like they're about done, yep, there they go, taking themselves off - "AAAAA-BAAAA-BAAA-WAAA-GAAAAA-NA-BA-DAAAAAAAAAA! . . . ." :D Instant noise. Beautiful.

Ekaterine: Has learned to clap (though it doesn't make much of a sound!) and learned to pound one toy against another rhythmically (which does!). Thinks she's Elvis. No, really, one of her very favorite things to do is to stand up, get a good grip on whatever she pulled up on, and then fling her pelvis wildly back and forth and laugh . . . it's the funniest, most exhuberant baby dancing you've every seen.

Both babies are assiduously growing their hair out. It's in tufts above their ears and starting to go over the edge of their collars.

Um, and now I'm going to watch House with Adam. Love you! Bye!

-Jess

No comments: