Friday, May 22, 2009

los squiddos

Sam and Brie are playing a game - I don't know what it's called, but the game before this was called, I am informed, "Piggers and Sleepers" - that involves one of them dancing around singing, "Goo-goo-ga-ga-goo" while the other yells, "BABY, GO BACK TO BED!"

Katie, of course, has climbed up on a chair and is yelling because she doesn't know what to do next.

Jane is wandering about, smiling at everyone.


These days Jane seems to be the one with all the words - like "thank you" - and Kate the one who wants to see how high she can get. Sometimes I find that she's climbed up on the table and into her clip-on chair as soon as she sees me start to make her lunch. Kate makes funny faces - she'll squinch her eyes up and look at you suspiciously, and then burst into laughter when you make the face back at her. Jane likes to shake up all the food on her tray, as if she were head-banging at a rock concert, and then grin at you when you scold her.

Now all four kids are reading a book together.

Now it's over, and Brie has told "John" to go to bed and not sing his "tootle-oo" song again. And Sam is up, singing "tootle-oo." And the babies are still looking at the book.

The living room floor is covered with toys.

Last night, when I was nursing the babies to sleep (have I mentioned they sleep through the night now?), Kate reached up and pulled off my earring. In the dark, I found the back, but not the earring itself. I figured it'd fallen in between the couch cushions. This morning, when I came upstairs to get her out of her crib, she was standing up and holding my earring out to me. I'm not sure but what she kept a hold on it all night long. A little scary but . . . what a smart baby.

This week Brigid made herself a laptop. She glued several pieces of paper together, with a cover (with an apple drawn on it) and a screen and a frame around the screen and a keyboard complete with mousepad. She brings me "long books" to read when her siblings are napping.

Jane and Kate both wave "bye" and "hi" now and are growing out of their 12 mo. clothes.

Sam is potty-training with the old trick of Cheerios in the toliet (he puts out the fires on the "Cheerio boats") but it's still a far-from-done thing.

Brie and Sam have, since Easter, been playing "Jesus rising from the dead" in our bedroom closet, with its helpful sliding doors. Apparently that makes for a great tomb. But I love how awed Sam is by the Resurrection. It's very clear in his mind that Jesus rose from the dead because He was "so strong". I think the resurrection should be that amazing in our minds - it reminds me of "The Dream of the Rood"'s description of Christ as the "young hero" who climbed onto the cross of his own accord.

I am trying very hard to find a way to keep the twins' hair back from their faces while we grow out their bangs - find a way, that is, that doesn't include them pulling the barrettes and pony-tail holders from each other's heads and eating them.

"Goo-goo-ga-ga-ga-loo" is still going strong.

Jane now gives kisses. It's very sweet. My little blue-eyed girl. She will also enthusiastically point out her belly button if you ask her, and is working on eyes and teeth and nose. Kate knows most of those too, I think, but would rather be climbing. Yet Kate is, I think, more confident with strangers, whereas Jane gets quiet in public.

Okay, just confirmed: Kate indeed knows what a nose is, and even can say "nooo--sss."

I am losing track of how many words they know, because they keep learning more. I love hearing them call Adam "Daddy".

They love shoes. The other day, Adam told Jane he was going to get her shoes on, and she went and sat down next to the shoe basket and stuck out both of her feet.

More later, must go save the babies.

love,
Jess

No comments: