Ron writes:
Micah said you had been in a competition and had done well. Now how about
from the horse's mouth?
Yes, I was in a karate tournament a few of weeks ago with a bunch of other students from our school. We made a pretty good showing, most people taking first or second in their selected divisions. It's a small friendship tournament (by invitation only) so many of us weren't up against more than one or two other people in our divisions, but still we did well, and only a few of us finished last.
I was up against a third degree blackbelt, who was the only other competitor there in my age and general rank group. I think he was a Tae Kwon Do-ist, but I'm not sure exactly. I felt kind of bad for beating him in both forms and sparring, and one day I do want to get to compete against more than one person in my division, but I was still very proud to take first both times.
I spent most of my time as a judge. Because it's a small tournament, they take every blackbelt then can find and have them judge othe people's forms and sparring, so this year I got my first experience in judging forms, which was kinda fun. Interesting to see the differences in people's styles, both martial arts styles, and personal styles.
Honorable mentions go to my brothers-in-law Josh (yes, both of their names are Josh), who were in the same division for both forms and sparring. One took first in forms and second in sparring, the other took second in forms and first in sparring. They're both very impressive.
Wednesday, June 16, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment