Anniversary trips are a very, very good idea.
Adam and I took a four day weekend this past weekend in honour of our one year anniversary. We went up to Morro Bay, on the central California coast. It's a little fishing/tourist/boating town, about fifteen minutes from San Luis Obispo. We stayed at a Motel Six and spent the four days exploring all the different things the coast had to offer. We made the most of it, figuring that it would probably be our last trip as just the two of us, at least for awhile.
Morro Bay was the perfect place for us to go, because it was very easy to spend several hours doing something active, then several hours relaxing, then going out and doing something active again . . .
We spent time walking on the beach, playing with the new camara, jumping off of sand dunes, canoeing in the bay, sitting on the boardwalk eating ice cream and watching people after getting all hot and sweaty paddling our canoe, walking through the shops, wading in the surf, exploring downtown San Luis Obispo, attending mass at the mission, eating good seafood with a view of the bay, watching "The Terminal", kissing, talking . . . ah!
While out on the bay, Adam decided he wanted to see some pelicans close up, so he steered us up close to a sandbar where a flock of them were sunning themselves. I laid my paddle across the canoe and just let him steer us closer. It was very peaceful to just sit there and let Adam guide us in. The pelicans were magnificent and beautiful, but they scared when we got within about twenty feet. But that meant we got to watch them take off and fly away from up close. (The seagulls who were sharing the sandbar with them, on the other hand, were undisturbed.)
It reminded me of our honeymoon, when we spent an afternoon canoeing down Big Bear lake. I like being out on open water under the sun with the man I love, looking at interesting and beautiful things and being active. I had to wear my life jacket more loosely this time than I did a year ago, but other than that, and other than feeling more comfortable and more in love than I did then, not much has changed.
A year of marriage has left me completely sure that Adam is who I want, and it's also left me completely unsatisfied. I want more. Lots, lots more. But I want more of him, and if God grants us any more days at all, that's what I'm going to get. Thanks be to God! He has blessed us far beyond anything we deserve and anything I could have imagined.
Wednesday, June 23, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment