Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Brigid Elizabeth

When Brie is quiet or sleeping, it's easy to pick out everyone else's
features in her. Look! There's her daddy's coloring, plain as day. And
his cleft chin, in miniature, feminine form. There's her aunt's eyes, and
her mom's eyebrows and lips. But when Brigid is awake and smiling and
laughing, she reminds me so strongly of someone else I know. I tried
really, really hard to figure out who it was, and then I got it. Brigid
reminds me of Brigid. She is herself, and I love her.

Set to turn three months old on Saturday, the Lord being willing, our
little girl is no newborn anymore. Last night, after a good dinner with
Mom and Josh, our family was on our own at home, and Adam and I decided to
play Scrabble (I was very proud of "llama" and "pissant"). But Brie was
crying and crying and crying. We couldn't figure out what to do. Adam,
smart man, finally suggested that she was pretty happy before we picked
her up, so he put her back down. And there, lying on the couch beside me,
Brigid was perfectly happy.

And as Adam and I played, keeping up a desultory conversation in between
staring hard at our letters, Brigid talked.

"Way too many vowels," commented Adam.

"A-goo-gaaaaaaao," Brigid agreed.

"Really?" I asked, "I'm all consonants over here."

"Aaaangaaacaaaogaaaah!" Brigid suggested.

Well really. What are you supposed to do with a baby who is absolutely
SURE that she is contributing intelligently to the conversation, just like
the big people?

After we put her down, she really did spend the rest of the game - and it
was a long game - in conversational coos. Social (see the talking) but
independent and active (see wanting to be free to kick her arms and legs,
unheld). Somehow I see Adam and I both in this girl's personality. But,
again, she is perfectly Brigid Elizabeth, perfectly herself. Praise God!
He's made a beautiful creature here! Glory to Him! May she always bring
glory to Him. Praise Him!


(p.s. to any babysitters: as a concerned mom, I have to point out that she
DOES still like to be held, often. It's just new that she doesn't like
being held all the time. So please do still hold her often if you're
taking care of her. :) )






No comments: