Today I had a new experience. (Amazing, how many days I can say that.) I
picked a booger out of my daughter's nose. Brigid didn't seem to
appreciate my efforts, but I thought she looked better without it hanging
there.
The other day I was getting dressed and put on my jeans. I was amazed
when they fit. That they fit clued me into something else: these were not
my jeans. It turns out that they're Adam's, and that they're a great
compromise between the size 14's that my mom bought me right after I gave
birth and the size 8's that I'm slowly fitting back into. I did manage to
fit into one of my old pairs of pants, which gave me comfort, but they're
still a little too snug for every day use, so my husband is generously
lending me his pair that I put on by mistake. I'm very grateful because,
according to my sister, they make my butt look good. (It's great having
my sister.)
I like being a homemaker. It's taken about this long to have good days
more than once in a row. It reminds me of when we were first married, and
everyone kept talking about how wonderful it must be (which I agreed with)
but didn't mention how hard it must be (which was true). Both marriage
and parenthood were, for me, in the first few months, and equal mix of joy
and awkwardness. I'm just not quick to adjust to new situations. But in
both cases, I was helped by the fact that I was sure that I was doing what
I really wanted to do. And, in a few months, both times, I've been proved
right. The awkwardness fades, and the joy remains.
(So does the work, but is it ever fair to expect not to work in this life?
No. As the apostle said, if one does not work, neither shall he eat. I
saw that cross-stitched the other day and thought it was one of the
coolest things ever. People don't cross-stitch the harsh verses nearly
often enough. How about "Repent, or you shall likewise perish"? That'd
be a good one. I had friends who had that on their fridge, if memory
serves. But I digress.)
I think it's a good thing to know about myself: that I shouldn't quit new
endeavours early, because I never like them as much in the beginning as I
do later on. I admire people who are good at adjusting to changes, but
I'm not one of them. I like routine and I hate surprises (as such - I
admit that there's some good ones).
I also think it's good to know that there's some endeavours I never like,
no matter how long I stay there. I worked at the private investigation
company for a year, and it never really clicked. I was good at my job,
but it was boring. Marriage and parenthood are better, they involve
people, so there's always new things.
New things. Which, I guess, are changes. Maybe I just like slow, small
changes.
After all, I handled the new experience of picking someone else's nose
just fine. :)
Wednesday, October 13, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Boogers? You ain't seen nothing until you have to use that nasal syringe when she gets her first cold. It's amazing how much gunk can come from such a cute little package!
Post a Comment