I'm sorry I didn't blog last week; Brie and I were caught up in a social
whirl.
On Tuesday, I had lunch with Adam at the university. We ate under a tree
by the soccer field, and then trooped over to the game room, baby in arms,
for a few rounds of pool. Adam shot while I held Brigid-girl, then I
handed her over to him and I took my turn. We made a special Brie-rule
that we each got two turns in a row, because this lessened the amount of
baby-passing. We caught the eyes of the undergrads in there who were
playing pool and studying for a New Testament test. Yes, you can have
grown-up fun while taking care of a newborn!
Then an old acquaintance who is becoming a new friend, Lynn, came over to
take tea with Brie and me. Having seen our lovely girl when I visited
Becca at work last week, she decided that more baby time was desirable, so
she brought over Scottish shortbread (yum!) and I put on the pot. Lynn is
the sort of person who asks you so many questions about your life, with
such a lovely, attentive air, that you feel guilty for not returning the
favor adequately after she leaves, but terribly flattered. I can let you
know that she writes poetry that makes me feel like I just went to some
holy Celtic isle and meditated for awhile.
On Wednesday, my mom came over to eat her lunch at our apartment, because
she was at the counseling center, which is about a five minute walk away,
and one of her clients had canceled. She walked in the door, and kissed
Brie, "How's the baby?" and me, "How's my baby?" I love it when Mom comes
over. Over the past ten years or so, we've become friends, but are still
mother and daughter, and the result is something comforting and
interesting and enjoyable. At least on my side. And I have to say, wow!
my mom works hard. Just listening to her itinerary make me, mom to a baby
who's not sleeping through the night, feel tired. But I think she does a
good job too, of not letting work get ahead of God or family. It's a
pattern I want to learn.
While thinking of my parents, let me request you also to pray for my dad.
He's heading off to Brazil this week for about two weeks, to help start up
translation projects in a part of the country that has five language
groups who have no Scripture among them. Please pray for his safety, for
good work to be done for the kingdom, and for the safety and comfort of my
mom, as she'll be without him all those days. Also for my little (I use
the word advisedly) brother, who will be the man of the house for a few
weeks. Thanks.
I also got to have lunch with Becca, who kindly came over. I think that
Brigid is getting to know her, and I'm certain that Becca's getting to
know Brigid. It's fun to watch my friend hold my daughter in such an
assured manner that you'd think she has twelve children of her own, and
takes care of them with one hand tied behind her back. Come to think of
it, Becca's got an air that makes you think she could take care of most
things with one hand behind her back. :)
On Thursday my sister-in-law Jenn came over, bringing with her the sweet
and accomplished Elisa, who showed off coos and smiles with aplomb. As Em
was my wedding-twin (we got married within a week of each other, and
comforted each other through that last, long semester of singleness), Jenn
was my pregnancy-twin (seeing each other at church each week and at family
gatherings and asking, "How are you?", and really understanding each
other's answers). Thursday morning tea with her felt like coming up for
air. Finally getting to talk about what it's all like, now that we've
enough experience to have some real idea of the thing.
The very cutest thing, however, was sitting the cousins up to face each
other and watching them stare, paw and smile and each other. "Why, it's
someone my size!" you could almost hear them say.
Then, in the afternoon, I got to spend time with Stephanie, who once again
heroically volunteered to do baby-duty while I went to a doctor's
appointment. She held a fussy Brie so that kiddo was comforted, and
afterward we celebrated by going to McDonald's for yogurt parfaits (v.
recommended, if you happen to be at that restaurant). Stephanie's such a
kind person, and v. calming to be around, both for me and for Brie.
Friday afternoon was spent with my sister, both at our apartment and at
the local laundromat (the folks' machine being broken). I have to say,
it's the nicest laundromat I've ever been in. There's coffee and water in
the back, vintage movie posters on the wall, current magazines, and lots
of lighting. I've decided that I like laundromats, and that it's really,
really fun to be able to get four loads of clothes washed in less than
half an hour. These past few weeks have been my first adult experiences
with laundromats, but somehow I don't think they'll be my last.
So, anyway, that's what the weekdays last week looked like, and I'm sure
that even with all that I'm leaving something out . . . praise God for
friends!
Monday, October 11, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You're right... becca doesn't just give that air, she really can do most things with one hand tied behind her back. Tell Brigid that Kosta and Puck are on their way to meet her and we can't wait.
Post a Comment