Sunday, December 12, 2004

Brigid goes to church

Today when I went up to take communion, I had Brigid in my arms and she was awake. Usually she's asleep at this point, or she's being held by one of her grandparents - sometimes by Grandma up in the choir loft. But today she was in my arms and she was awake, and after I took the Host, the server came to me with the chalice, and Brigid's eyes were caught by it. And these days, where Brigid's eyes go, her hands soon follow. Out snaked the little hand! And grabbed was the chalice! I was pleased to see my daughter take such an early interest in spiritual matters. But it was rather a good thing that she didn't manage to spill any of it, all things considered, and I disentangled her from the cup as soon as I could. I think I rather scandalized the server though because, I admit it, I laughed.


The other thing that happened was that on the last hymn, Brigid decided that she'd figured out what we were doing and SHE wanted to sing TOO. It was very convincing as singing, but not very on key or with anything close to the lyrics. But that made more people than just me laugh.


The last bit of Brie-news isn't church-news: she rolled from back to front! She rolled onto her side, which she's been doing rather often lately, and when I asked her if she was going to finish it, she looked at me consideringly, and then plopped over onto her tummy. We were very pleased with ourselves.

No comments: