Friday, February 11, 2005

what a day!

Okay, so yesterday Brigid scooted backwards, popped out a new tooth and pulled herself up on the loveseat arm. wow!

I didn't even see the first part of the scooting. I was lying on the floor reading next to Brigid, who was lying on her blanket on the floor, having her tummy time surrounded by toys. I looked up at one point, and noticed that she was considerably further away from me than she had been. And as I watched, Brigid, with her eyes intently on the board book that was now two feet away from her instead of just a few inches or so, wiggled her butt, pushed with her arms, and got even FURTHER away than before! She continued, very frustrated, in this backwards movement until I had pity on her and brought her back to her book.

Then while she was napping, I peeked in her mouth and discovered, sure enough, the fussiness had a cause because there was Tooth #2, coyly poking its edge out of her gum next to Tooth #1.

Finally, in the evening while Adam and I were enjoying being back together again after a long day, and Brigid was enjoying her suddenly doubled audience, she pulled herself up! She's been working on that for at least the past week, usually trying it on me when she's sitting on my lap. It's very bad for my modesty, because her usual method is to grab my shirt and pull it down, in hopes of pulling herself up. This is done while rocking off of her bottom and forward onto the edges of her feet. She's too short still for this method to work on a sofa, but when she was sitting on the sofa cushion next to Adam, facing the sofa arm, she grabbed the arm, pulled, rocked forward and - voila! - was standing! Adam and I, who'd been talking about something else entirely, stopped, looked at her, looked at each other and asked, "did that just happen?" Brie just grinned.

Other discoveries yesterday were made at the young mom's group, which met in the park with six moms and their babies, included that yes, some dogs are not as nice as Pippin and Sarah, yes, she could pull over one of her playmates if she tried, and yes, there ARE such things as dirt, grass and leaves and NO , Mommy doesn't let her put them in her mouth, though Mommy DOES let her pull up handfuls of them in the interests of exploration.

Brie now has dirt under her fingernails. That's my girl!

No comments: