Thursday, March 10, 2005

Gardens and Spades

We've had some fun times with friends this week. On Saturday, we went to the Huntington Library and Gardens with Dan and Katie, and ended up ignoring the library part in favor of spending a couple of hours on a gorgeous Southern California spring day, wandering through acres of trees and lawns and flowers. I decided I wanted to try my hand at drawing some of the strange and beautiful plants they have there, and so Ă…dam obligingly took close-up pictures for me to draw from. You see, that morning I'd been looking at a Crate & Barrel catalog, and they had "herbal" prints for sale, and I thought that I probably could and indeed would rather make my own. So, sometime after we get our pictures developed (you know, maybe around June or so), I intend to try my hand.

Then, last night, we had Gabe and Em over to play Spades, a game which we'd all played before, but to which only Adam remembered the rules. Accordingly (or maybe because Gabe and I weren't paying enough attention to each other's plays), Adam and his partner, Em, trouched Gabe and I. I don't know whether to be chagrined at myself or proud of my husband's prowess. I can't help but thinking that by mixing the couples, if we'd been playing for money, we'd've won either way.

-Jess

No comments: