Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Sooooo big!

I haven't done one of these for awhile, so, now presenting here on adamjess:

Things Brigid Can Do at About 9 1/2 Months (the list that's sure to leave something out):

-crawl. everywhere.
-pull herself to standing. on everything.
-cruise. around everything.

(okay, okay, I need to work on the style of this a bit, but to continue . . .)

-say "Hi!" and wave. To and at everyone.
-stand alone for 20 seconds or so.
-Do everything in the Pat the Bunny book (play peek-a-boo, sniff the flowers, put her finger through the ring and, yes, pat the bunny)
-mimic many, many sounds
-put puzzle book pieces in properly, sometimes.
-play pat-a-cake
-anticipate things. This is fun, because she'll get excited and giggly when I start playing a motion game, like "round and round the garden" or "this little piggy", even before we get to the tickling part!
-cry when her dad leaves every morning (then we pray together for his safe return, and I tell her, "this is what you do when someone you love leaves and you want him to come back. you pray for him" I figure it's never to early to start).
-stop and turn when we call her name
-come when we ask her to
-recognize and reach for people she knows, even though strangers still make her anxious (my dad was thrilled recently when twice in one day Brigid reached for him and wanted him to hold her. It was really sweet.)
-sing along when there's music
-climb on boxes


I'm really beginning to feel like the mother of a little girl rather than the mother of a baby. And Brigid, darling girl, when you're old enough to read this, know that there are countless times when your dad and I look at each other and absolutely marvel over how wonderful and amazing you are, and how much we love you. I look at you and am so excited about all the years to come, about knowing you better and better the longer I know you, about being your mom and teaching you and loving you and praying for you, about, Lord willing, seeing how you are as a big sister, as a friend as a wife and a mother - or an abbess or a missionary, or whatever the Lord wills for you. You, just you, Brigid Elizabeth, are beautiful and good and wonderful, and I love you so very much.


And I have to admit: having produced such an awesome daughter, Adam and I can't help wanting more kids. So, Brie, know that your brothers and sisters are going to be, in part, your fault, because you being you was a very good argument for, and very little argument against, having more of your sort, oh most excellent of babies.

-Jessica

1 comment:

Linds said...

You haven't heard the Bill Cosby sketch about their second baby as compared to their first, have you? Their first child was angelic, so they thought 'we've gotta have more of these!'... and then their second child was, well, a bit lower down the perfection totem pole. :)