Sunday, February 26, 2006

Lead Us Not Into Temptation

I'm been thinking of that petition in the Lord's Prayer recently, in light of being a parent. It's something we ask our heavenly Father regularly, and I've been wondering what that means for my actions as an earthly parent. How do I lead Brie not into temptation?

It seems related to Paul's later injunction, "Fathers, do not provoke your children."
In light of the recent couple weeks, when, frankly, I've had to deal with more bratty behavior from my daughter than I ever have before (and, to give Brie credit, that's still less than many other children exhibit), how do I lead her not into temptation? How much of my job is to make it easier for her to be good? To gently lead her into virtue?

I don't want to allow her to get away with bratty behavior, but on the other hand, I also want to set the bar low enough that she can get over it. I want to make our house a place where good behavior is obtainable. If I know that she has an easier time being patient if she's had enough time to run around outside, isn't it my job to make sure, as often as possible, that she gets that time? It's like the times when the Lord has been gracious in giving me an extra hour of sleep, or an encouraging word from a family member, because He knew that that would make it possible for me not to sin by being cranky or worried.

I don't think I've reached the end of this meditation. But if God is supposed to be our model as a parent, than it makes sense to look at what sorts of things Jesus says that we children are supposed to ask our Father for. And one of them is that we be led not into temptation. This seems like it would apply to everything from keeping "no-no's" out of Brie's reach to making sure that her blood sugar doesn't reach those cranky lows to hugging her often and often so she feels like what she is: a beloved daughter of the house. Not a brat.

Dear, dear Brigid Elizabeth, you are a wonderful child. I'm just sorry that little sinners like you have to have bigger sinners like us for parents. But we will do better and better, with God's help. I love you.

-Mom

No comments: