Wednesday, December 06, 2006

you know you've parodied something too often

when the parody comes to mind before the real thing.

There's a hymn we often sing at church that Adam and I have often made fun of because the dreary, dreary tune is so at odds with the cheerful first line. So we've often sung the words to a more cheerful melody in good-natured parody.

Which is why, when I put "Festival of Carols in Brass" in the stereo today, and the band struck up, what I heard in my mind wasn't "Deck the halls" but:

"Deck thyself, my soul, with gladness, FA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA!"



I also heard the first lines of "Oh Come, All Ye Faithful" in my head as "Adeste Fideles". Too much Bing and Andrea, I think.

:D
-Jess

2 comments:

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

ROTFL!! I have the exact same problem with that hymn. :) It is just so mournful!

sarah marie said...

Heehee. I like to play a little game in my head where I mix and match hymn tunes with texts. Obviously many texts are interchangeable with a variety of tunes, but it gets *funny* when you do it with Christmas tunes. My favorite is "Amazing Grace" to the tune from "Joy to the World." It gets funny when you get to "was blind but now I see, was blind but now I see, was bli-IND! was bliiiind but now I see."

heehee