Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Spiritual Tug-o-War

It seems that I have two sins waging war with each other and producing something that presents as a virtue. I suppose that it might actually be two virtues pulling each other into line, but that is harder to believe.

I have been thinking lately about the virtue of contentment. I have come to discover recently (as I discussed ideas for Valentine's Day gifts with Jessica) that while there are many things in this world that I want, there is nothing that I think would make an exceptional present. I am at a period in my life where I am not lacking for things to do, or things with which to do them, but simply the time to pursue them. I look at wood working tools with an attitude that borders on lust, but as soon as I think about it for a second, I realize that I don't actually have the space to store them or the time to use them. I glance through a knife magazine and drool over the sleek, shiny blades, but can't honestly imagine getting enough use out of them to make it worth the price. I peruse the games section on a shopping website, only to remember that I don't have enough time to spend with my kids as it is.

Does it count as contentment when it's really just a lack of enthusiasm brought on by knowing that you won't have the energy to pursue something? Is it the virtue of peace, or the sin of sloth? Are my sloth and greed simply finding their point of equilibrium in what might just eventually grow into a virtue? Does spiritual growth work that way? It doesn't seem like it should.

No comments: