Saturday, September 08, 2007

update

Sorry that we haven't posted for so long; it's mostly because we have big news, we hadn't gotten to tell all the nearby relatives the news yet, and I didn't want to post without spilling the beans. :) But we told the rest of the people we could tell in person, and so now I can share it with everyone we can't tell in person: we're expecting again! Yep, there's a new one due to make his or her appearance in late March, who is right now making itself right at home in Chateau Mom (yes, come in, rearrange the furniture, can I get you a something to drink?).

So, we're pretty excited, and I'm pretty tired and occasionally migraine-ish, but Brie and Sam make sure that I don't change my lifestyle too much in the meantime (i.e., no time to be inactive with two toddlers in the house!). My first prenantal appointment is next week, and I'd appreciate prayers that it all goes well. It's just possible I might get to hear the heartbeat; I really hope I do.

In other news, Sam is almost 18 months old, and is having the typcial 18 month old explosion of language, which is just as much fun the second time around as it was the first. He's beginning to string together short sentences and phrases, like "more, please?" and "where's Grandpa?". He also has the adorable happen of using "a". As in "a balloon" or "a cookie" rather than just "balloon" or just "cookie". I'm still having trouble getting him to say "Samuel" or "Sam", but I think that's just because he gets frustrated with the "S".

The other really cool thing he did recently was to show empathy. We were over at Emily's house yesterday, and her little baby, Thomas, was crying. Sam looked at him, concerned, and then went and grabbed a stuffed animal and gave it to him. The really cool thing? Thomas stopped crying. :)

Brie is, and has been since her birthday in late July, potty trained. We ended up deciding to wait till she was really ready, and I'm glad that we did. We just talked it up a lot ("when you're THREE, you get to go POTTY") and went cold turkey on her birthday. She handled that really well, and I'm proud of how we handled our little girl who really likes to know what the plan is. We took all the surprise out of potty-training, and I think that's what made it really easy for her.

'kay, supper's ready, so I have to go. I end with this:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ADAM!

love, Jess

2 comments:

Jen said...

Congratulations, Adam and Jes. I can't think of better parents to be entrusted with another little one

Rowleeeee said...

Cool to hear about the linguistic explosion. I think I might be at a bit of a disadvantage as I'm studying philosophy of language and haven't had a kid to observe the process of learning language. Aw well, I'll be better prepared when the time comes.

Hope all's well!
-Bill