Monday, June 27, 2005

The Great Escape

We did it, we did it! Adam and I have now officially spent our first night away from our daughter. Our beautiful little eleven-month-old daughter. She had a great time with Grandpa and Grandma B., and Adam and I had a great time in Huntington Beach, just the two of us.

We ate at a seafood and steak place called "Captain Jack's" (I thought of you, Lindsay). I had my first martini - it was a girly one, and it tasted like an apple Jolly Rancher, but I really liked it. And I had shrimp scampi that made me melt . . . mmmmmm. Adam had a rack of lamb, and I tried hard not to notice what a very small animal it must have come from - okay, but it was delicious. They flipped our napkins into our laps and ground fresh pepper on the salad. I sat there thinking, "wow, I've seen places like this on tv . . ."

And, even better, the atmosphere was perfectly conducive to conversation. Adam and I talked and talked and talked . . . it was the most pleasant State of the Union ever.

Then we went back to our hotel (which was bright yellow) and continued our enjoyable evening . . . and it was an evening that involved sleep uninterrupted by a baby's cries. For you nursing moms out there, let me point out that there is a downside to sleeping without your baby - your body sure lets you know it in the morning!

Once we'd woken up in the morning, and lazed around enough, we checked out and went down to Ruby's on the pier. I love walking down Huntington pier, because it's like walking into the middle of the ocean - it IS walking into the middle of the ocean - and the air tastes better out there. We had breakfast, talked and walked some more, and placed bets on what gender our friends' next babies will be.

It was a lovely, lovely first time away. And it was lovely to see Brigid again when we got back. She's my darling heart.

Thanks again, Mom and Dad - what a great gift!

-Jess

No comments: